Board of Adjustment
- Mayor: Donald F. Tinari
- Town Attorney: Fred Townsend III
- Town Engineer: Tom Wilkes
The purpose of the Board of Adjustments is to make special exceptions to the terms of Town Ordinances, yet have those exceptions adhere to the harmony of the original ordinance with its general purpose and intent and in accordance with general or specific rules of the Town.
The Board of Adjustments may:
- Hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of the charter or of any adopted ordinance;
- Hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of the ordinance upon which the board is required to pass under such ordinance;
- Authorize, in specific cases, such variance from any zoning ordinance, code or regulation that will not be contrary to the public interest, where, owing to special conditions or exceptional situations, a literal interpretation of any zoning ordinances, code or regulation will result in unnecessary hardship or exceptional practical difficulties to the owner of property so that the spirit of the ordinance, code or regulation shall be observed and substantial justice done, provided such relief may be granted without substantial detriment to the public good and without substantially impairing the intent and purpose of any zoning ordinance, code, regulation or map;
The Board of Adjustments, in exercising the powers provided above may, in conformity with these powers, reverse or affirm, wholly or partly, or may modify the order, requirement, decision or determination appealed from and may make such order, requirement, decision or determination as ought to be made, and to that end shall have all the powers of the officer from whom the appeal is taken.
All meetings of the Board of Adjustments are open to the public.
The Board of Adjustments of Cheswold operates under Title 22 of the Delaware Code.
For a complete list of public meetings click here.
View Past Agenda’s & Minutes
<< Back to Boards & Commissions