DO TO THE CURRENT HEALTH CONCERNS OVER THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC ALL RIDE-A-LONGS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
The Police Ride-Along program allows residents to accompany officers during their tour of duty in a police vehicle. This program gives residents a better understanding of police operations. If you are interested in a ride-
along, use the application below.
Criminal justice students, and those interested in a career in law enforcement, have found it particularly useful. The Ride-Along program fosters a better understanding of the challenges, hazards and rewards of a police officer’s role in the community.
- No one shall ride until approval has been granted, and a properly completed application and release has been reviewed and signed by the Chief of Police
- Approved applicants are limited to one (1) ride-along per year. Members of a Neighborhood Watch group are permitted one (1) ride-along every six (6) months.
- A records check will be made of all Ride-Along candidates.
- The duration of the ride is at the discretion of the on-duty officer (but no longer than 6 hours)
- Citizens 18 years of age and older may participate. (Parents must print out and sign the Juvenile Release)
Ride-Along Rules of Conduct
The Ride-Along participant must agree to abide by the following rules of conduct:
- Participants shall, at all times, remain under the complete control of the assigned officer and comply with all directions. No interference with the performance of the officer shall be permitted.
- Citizens are not permitted to accompany the officer in the booking area when prisoners are being processed.
- Participants are not allowed to carry a firearm.
- All cameras and recording devices are prohibited.
- Participants are required to present a neat, clean appearance (no jeans).
- Any information overheard regarding a criminal investigation is confidential in nature and the participant shall not discuss the information with anyone.
Please print and complete the application and one of the releases below:
Fax the application and release to the Cheswold Police Department at (302) 734-1355 or send by mail to the address below or Email to Christopher.firstname.lastname@example.org. If the application is faxed, please call the Cheswold Police Department the following day to ensure the paperwork was received. If the application was mailed, please call the Patrol Services Bureau in seven business days. Applicant will need to include their email address if they wish to be contacted by email.
Completing this form does not guarantee that your ride-along request will be approved. It is the responsibility of the applicant to confirm receipt of the application.