The Town of Cheswold (CPD) hiring process for the position of Police Recruit in currently CLOSED, the entry-level classification to becoming a CPD Officer. The Department is a dynamic, progressive and professional organization dedicated to maintaining community partnerships which promote a high quality of life for the Town of Cheswold. The Department is actively seeking to fill 1 Police Recruit position.
Police Application are available on the Town of Cheswold website at Cheswold.delaware.gov under the Police Tab.
- Submission of application
- Completion of written examination.
- Completion of Physical Agility Test
- Completion of oral interview
- Completion of background investigation.
- Completion of Chiefs Interview
- Completion of psychological examination.
- Completion of physical examination.
- Completion of drug screening.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
- No experience or training is necessary
- At least 21 years old by March 1, 2018.
- Must be a citizen of the United States or have applied for citizenship
- Possession of a valid driver’s license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the U.S.
- U.S. high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED); waived if you have a college degree from an accredited college within the U.S.
- Military Veterans with honorable discharge are encouraged to apply
- Must have at least 20/20 corrected vision
- No felony, domestic violence or misdemeanor assault convictions; cannot currently be on probation or parole
- Must sign 5 year contract w/ Town of Cheswold Police Department
Must be available to attend DSP Police Academy in March 2018
The Cheswold Police Department will be using the IPMA-HR Entry Level Police Test.
Testing Study guides and practice tests can be found at –Entry Level Police Test Study Guide
Physical Ability Test:
Applicants are evaluated on the following:
- 300-Meter Run
- Push Ups
- 1.5 Mile Run
Applicants are encouraged to practice the physical ability test prior to the testing date. Applicants can download the Physical Test Log and minimum standards here:
Physical Ability Tests and Requirement:
300 Meter Run: All applicants must complete the 300 meter run in no more than 71 seconds.
Sit-Ups: All applicants must complete a minimum of 30 sit-ups within ONE minute. Sit-ups will be completed with hands interlaced behind the neck, knees bent, and a spotter holding the applicant’s feet. Each repetition must begin with the shoulder blades touching the ground, and is completed when the torso is perpendicular to the ground.
Push-Ups: Each applicant will complete the maximum number of push-ups that he/she is capable of completing. The minimum number for a successful completion of this portion of the test is 21 for all applicants. In order to be counted as a completed push-up, each repetition will begin with the applicant in the front leaning rest position (prone position with arms extended, elbows locked, hands on ground, legs resting on toes). The applicant will proceed to lower his/her upper torso until the chest touches a spotting object (styrofoam cup or similar object) placed on the ground below the chest. The applicant will then raise his/her body back to the front leaning rest position to complete the repetition. Resting is only permitted in the up position. Female applicants will be allowed to perform modified pushups. In order to be counted as a completed modified pushup, each repetition will begin in the front leaning rest position (prone position with arms extended, elbows locked, hands on ground, knees resting on the ground). The applicant will proceed to lower her upper torso until the chest touches a spotting object (Styrofoam cup or similar object) placed on the ground below the chest. The applicant will then raise her body back to the front leaning rest position to
complete the repetition. Resting is only permitted in the up position.
1.5 Mile Run: The applicant will complete a 1.5 mile run in no more than 16:28 (Sixteen minutes and twenty eight seconds).
The above tests will be conducted in the order listed.
Test requirements and procedures for successful completion shall apply to all applicants, regardless of age or gender. The scoring system is a pass/fail. Failure to complete the physical agility portion of this test will eliminate you from moving forward to the written test to be held on the same day.
- Paid Academy training with salary of $14.00/hour
- Annual base pay range for Police Officer of $34,422.00 w/ annual pay scale increases
- Health Benefits
- Paid vacation and paid sick time accrual
- 12 hour shift schedule – every other weekend off
- Overtime and Secondary Employment assignments
- High school or equivalent
Chief of Police